St. Patrick School was established in the quiet neighborhood of Newry, Pennsylvania in 1921 and was administered by the Sisters of Mercy from Cresson.
The school was steeped in Catholic and family tradition, academic mastery, and community service. Enrollment has fluctuated throughout the years from its first eighty-seven students to over one hundred eighty students!
On April 3, 1944, a fire destroyed both the school and the convent where the sisters lived. Students continued their education in the neighboring public schools. The pastor, Fr. Jeremiah P. Flynn, and the parishioners were determined to rebuild the school and succeeded with their efforts by January 21, 1945, in spite of wartime restrictions. The new school, convent, and parish hall were dedicated by Bishop Richard T. Guilfoyle on this date in 1945. As enrollment began to grow, two additional classrooms were added later to the school.
A full-sized gymnasium (Justin Hall) built in 1991 offers students a wonderful facility for physical education classes, play at recess, or for practice to prepare for sporting events. The gymnasium converts to an auditorium hosting student musicals and pageants, instilling a strong fine arts foundation.
Again in 2000, ground was broken for the addition of eight new classrooms. This provided space for an upgraded computer lab, expanded library, and separate science, art, and music classrooms.
St. Patrick School is the center of the parish and is responsible for fostering church, civic events, and community initiatives. The ultimate goal of St. Patrick School is to educate the whole child; spiritually, intellectually, emotionally, and physically.